Saturday, September 10, 2011

I'm a Mac (Wo)Man?

So, after three computer crashes (family desktop, hubby's laptop, and my laptop) all in a couple months time, I decided to take the plunge and try a mac. I've long known that it crashes less and contracts fewer viruses than PCs, but I have not been ready to give up the familiar for the "hopefully better." So, I made my first trip to a Mac store. Wow! I had never been to one, and I was amazed. Midday on a weekday afternoon, it was a zoo! I asked the sales person if it was always that busy and he said it was actually a slow day, that you have to swim through the store on the weekends.

Also, technology... perhaps I'm technologically-sheltered? I had no idea about some of that stuff. For example, there was no check-out counter. There was a counter where the check-out would be in a normal store, but it was the tech-table, where repairs & upgrades happen. Then there were display tables throughout the store, in addition to the wall displays. So, we're at one of the display tables looking at computers. When I'm ready to buy, the guy takes his iPod Touch, scans the UPC, inputs my info, swipes my credit card (card reader slot on side of iPod), has me sign the mini-screen with my fingertip, and pushes some print button. Then he reaches under the table and pulls out the receipt. Huh. Very interesting!

Also, they're big on spending plenty of time with you. My sales guy spent over two hours with me, helping me choose a model, showing me how things worked, etc. I could have spent more time.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience and I'm now the proud owner of a Mac. My impressions? I like it. I like many of the things I can do with it. I am enjoying playing with apps and widgets. I'm still trying to find some of the basic functions within Mac programs. I know I could have purchased Office for Mac, but I decided if I'm going to be a Mac person, I might as well be a Mac person, so I'm trying the Mac equivalent, iWorks. I believe I'm going to really like it once I get it all figured out. I wish I had three days to just sit with the computer and experiment.

So, I could be on my way to becoming a Mac (Wo)man. I want to say Mac Man - not because it rhymes with PacMan, but because it's an alliteration. Mac Woman doesn't carry the same punch, but since I'm a woman, I compromised and put the Wo in parentheses.

I'll keep you posted as I learn how to use this bug-free machine! :)

1 comment:

LizC said...

iLike your blog. :) Esp. the email observing, in the post just after this. Very good!