Saturday, September 3, 2011

Henry Cloud - Women of Faith

Henry Cloud is an amazing Christian Psychologist. As a counselor, I have been reading his books for years. I never imagined I would be able to hear him in person. He is amazing! I truly enjoyed his sessions, his clear presentation, and his message.

Henry Cloud has been researching happiness and what he has found is that only 10% of happiness comes from our circumstances. The rest comes from our life practices, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. Laced with humor, Henry pointed out some of the commonalities of happy people. He specifically talked about the fact that happy people are givers and that they are connected. Among other things, I came away with "Be my monkey," but if you want to get the story behind that, you'll have to read his book The Law of Happiness or ask me.

And he said, "to get the life you imagine, it requires taking a step you don't think you can make." My thoughts on that are that we only did those things we knew we could do, how would we ever experience the power of God working through us?

Henry also talked about necessary endings (the topic of another of his books), whether they be people or attitudes or things, etc. We need to prune our lives, leaving only the best and most fruitful parts.

While it is hard to choose, because the entire conference was amazing, Henry Cloud may have been the highlight of my Women of Faith weekend. Fabulous!

1 comment:

MamaLezlie said...

That sounds great. I'm sure I could put some of his sage advice to use.