Saturday, September 10, 2011

Dependency

With all the computer trouble I've had lately, I have become acutely aware of just how dependent I've become on a computer. Banking, blogging, Facebook, business and personal communication, and of course e-mail. Sometimes when checking my e-mail, I'll say something along the lines of "Let's see if anybody loves me today." I look forward to receiving personal e-mail. Don't you? So, when my 847 emails downloaded onto my new computer, I spent some time looking through them to find the few personal ones. Why? Because I crave connection to others. I want to hear from my friends and family. I want to know what's going on in their lives. And I want to know what they have to say about my life.

Anyway, why is it that I (and presumably some of you, too) will spend so much time seeking that personal message, but spend so little seeking the personal message God has given us? I certainly spend more time on my computer than I carve out for God. It's so amazing what He's done. Let's see if anybody loves me today. Just pick up your Bible - you don't have to weed through 799 business and junk messages to find the gems. Every word is a gem. God has left us a massive number of personal messages, sharing about Himself and showing His interest in us.

At worst, we should be willing to spend time reading God's messages to us. At best, we should crave those messages until we feel incomplete without reading some of them each day. Many feel they "should" but have no motivation to do so. Where do you fall on the spectrum? Are you willing to spend time with God, feeling obligated to spend time with Him, or so desiring to spend time with Him that you protect the time you have set aside to spend with Him. My prayer is that we'd all move along the spectrum toward craving. Let's be dependent on Him. For our salvation, our validation, our worth, our lives. And if that means letting the e-mail go, then let it go.


No comments: