Thursday, October 30, 2008

Try vs Train

I recently heard someone say that we are really good at trying, but not always very good at training. This idea can apply to much of our lives. I could go out today and try to win a marathon, but if I haven't trained for it, my chances are nonexistent. I can say I'll try to keep my house clean, stay calm with the kids, send a card every week, and whatever else I have good intentions for. But unless I train to do those things, they are not going to consistently happen.

So, what is training? According to the dictionary (dictionary.com), to train is to develop or form the habits, thoughts, or behavior by discipline and instruction; to make proficient by instruction and practice. We need to learn and practice. Over and over again. For the long haul. It wouldn't do me much good to train for that marathon and, once I was ready to run one, quit training before the race.

I am striving to train. To train myself to have good habits - quiet time, exercise, eating right, etc. And to train up my children in the way they should go. Won't you train with me?

No comments: