Monday, October 29, 2007

Priorities

Matthew 6:33 (NASB) says, “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” A familiar verse to many of us, and yet we don’t always choose to live by it. As a homeschooling mom, I often find myself becoming stressed over curriculum choices, scheduling conflicts, electives, and time management. As a result, sometimes the spiritual growth of my children – and of me – takes a backseat to academics and activities. I sometimes need to step back and remind myself that all the academics in the world, all the musical talent, etc., will amount to nothing without a solid foundation in Christ. Please know that I am not advocating lessening our academic standard, only that we put first things first. Christ, as Lord, deserves first place in our lives and I want Him to take first place in the lives of my children. So, I desire that our family, our home, and our education be given over into His control. If I have not prayed for my day, I should not begin it. When I spend time with Him, then He can order my day, my choices, and my schedule.

BTW, Seek ye First the Kingdom of God is a great children’s song!

No comments: