Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Prayer Reminder from a Child


My daughter, age five, and I were driving the other day. As we waved at the neighbors, she said, “I’m sad because they don’t know Jesus.” We talked about the fact that we need to love them anyway. And then she said, “Could we pray about it now?” I, of course, said yes, and she began. It went something like this, “Dear Jesus, please help the (last name) to believe in you, to know the truth, so they can go to heaven when they die.”
There is a lesson here for all of us. Even those of us who are actively ministering to others sometimes get wrapped up in serving them without stopping to regularly pray for them. I know I’ve been guilty of this many times. I’ve talked several times with this neighbor and told her about my beliefs. I’ve tried to do kind things for her. I even asked someone in my local church family to pray for her. But did I stop to pray? No. But my daughter did. I’m proud of her and humbled by her faith.
So, whatever you’re doing, take time out to pray for those around you - especially those who don’t know Jesus. Because just like my daughter, it makes God sad.

2 comments:

LizC said...

Just been thinking about my lack of prayer for others...

Bren said...

I know. Me, too!