Thursday, April 1, 2010

Jack and the Beanstalk

The other day, I was "doing school" with my 3-year-old and we were reading from a book of fairy tales. As I finished the story, what struck me was the moral of the story. I know fairy tales sometimes have different versions, but the one I read basically said this...Jack disobeyed his mother and sold their cow for magic beans. Jack's mom got mad and threw the beans out the window, which grew into the clouds overnight. Jack climbed the beanstalk, found a giant's castle, snuck in, and stole gold and a hen-that-lays-golden-eggs. He lost the gold as he ran from the giant owner, but managed to hold onto the hen. He climbed down the beanstalk and chopped it down, killing the giant following him. And the hen gave him a golden egg daily. The moral? Disobey, steal, and kill and riches will be yours. There is something seriously twisted about this story. "Fee! Fie! Foe! Fum!"

1 comment:

Robert M. Lindsey said...

Whatever it takes to get ahead.